green news, trends and environmental action

Bird Starts Fire With Cigarette, Burns House: Firefighters

By Andres Jauregui

Sounds like a real firebird.

Fire officials in London say that a blaze that torched the roof of a house on Wednesday and forced the evacuation of nine residents was likely caused by a pigeon who retrieved a lit cigarette butt and dropped it in its nest.

“When we got up into the roof, we were baffled as there were no obvious ignition sources,” London Fire Brigade investigator Matt Cullen told the BBC “The smoking gun was found when we discovered a partially burnt birds nest.”

Neighbors said they had previously seen a bird flying in and out of …read more

Source: Huffington Post Green